Mushroom Month: Delicious, Creamy Porcini Mushroom Soup
We're not stopping with the September #MushroomMonth! In Miramonti, we are getting "porcini-crazy" with the abundance of mushrooms in the Corteno Golgi area. During this season, many tourists and locals go out into the wilderness to Forage Porcini Mushrooms, they are found under chestnut trees and within the undergrowth of the Alpine forest. Our last recipe was Porcini Risotto, and now, we will be giving you the perfect autumn recipe to warm you up – the Creamy Porcini Mushroom soup! The soup is rich, light and full of flavour – absolutely delicious and heart-warming! In our Restaurant in the Alps, we love the ingredient so much that we have included it in our menu, with mouth-watering dishes like our 'Tagliatelle Al Funghi Porcini', 'Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms' and Crispy Egg with Porcini. So if you want to feel a real sense of the Italian Alps in the Autumn, try this recipe:
1. Soak the porcini in a bowl filled with hot water for 20-30 minutes, allowing them to soften. If you have fresh porcini, feel free to skip this step and wash the dirt away.
2. Use a fine sieve to strain the mushrooms, reserving the mushroom liquid as it could further flavour the soup. Once drained, chop the porcini mushrooms up and set aside.
3. Splash the olive oil in a large pot, sauté the shallots and garlic for a few minutes until fragrant. Afterwards, stir in the chopped rosemary and potatoes and let it cook for a few minutes.
4. After that, toss in the porcini mushrooms, allowing it to cook for about 10 minutes along with the other ingredients
5. Now we will make a 'roux', add the butter to the pot and stir until melted. Stir in the flour and mix it until the mushrooms are well coated. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Then pour in the mushroom water and the hot chicken stock, stir until all the lumps are gone, then cover the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
7. Once it's finished simmering, stir in the ½ cup of heavy whipping cream. Add some pepper and salt to taste.
8. Pour the soup into serving bowls and drizzle with truffle oil or extra salt to taste. Garnish it with some chopped parsley and add a side of crusty bread, now it's ready to eat!
· 2 ounces of dried porcini mushrooms (or fresh)
· 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
· 3 tbsp. of butter
· 3 shallots, chopped
· 3 large cloves of garlic
· Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
· 2 cups of small potatoes, peeled and cubed
· 3 cups of hot water
· Salt and Pepper
· 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable)
· Truffle oil
· 3 tbsp. butter
· ½ cup flour
· ½ cup heavy cream
· ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
· Crusty bread, to serve
Voila! Now you've got all the knowledge and tips you need to make the perfect porcini risotto. Want to experience fresh porcini? Stay at Albergo Miramonti where you can Hike in the Alps, enjoy our Hotel Spa and even relax in our Cigar Lounge.
For more articles about Italian Cuisine, read the blog: